“Hell yes!” This was a great episode and things are really starting to pick up and add up.
Let’s start off island in timeline-X first…here’s what we know:
– Locke and Helen are getting married.
– Locke is on positive terms with his dad (inferring this based on Helen’s comment about getting her parents and his dad to help them elope).
– Locke blew off a conference to attempt to go on a Walkabout.
– Hurley still owns the box company that Locke got fired from and his luck extends to his Hummer not getting dented by Locke’s wheelchair ramp.
– Randy Nations (Locke’s ex-boss) is a huge douche!
– The supervisor at Hurley’s temp agency is Rose Nadler.
– Rose still has terminal cancer in this timeline, but is still accepting of her fate and is a realist.
– Locke is much less of a believer in this timeline and Rose convinces him to accept the life he’s been given.
– Locke’s alarm clock sounds an awful lot like the Swan Station alarm when it’s almost at 0.
– Helen is wearing a “Peace/Karma” t-shirt.
– Locke tells Helen he doesn’t believe in miracles.
– Helen only wants Locke, not a miracle, and tears up Jack’s business card.
– Ben Linus teaches European History and John Locke is now a substitute physical education and biology teacher.
Meanwhile, back on the island…
It was pretty neat to see things from Smokey’s point of view for a change and the dialogue between pseudo-Locke and James Ford was outstanding. It’s late, so instead of getting all deep and stuff, I’m going to bullet point these events as well:
– MIB wants Alpert to join him and explains that he looks like Locke because Locke was a “candidate”.
– MIB seems surprised to learn that Alpert has been following Jacob’s instructions without knowing why.
– Alpert turns down MIB’s offer and a young blond-haired boy appears in the distance that MIB can see, but Alpert cannot. He then vanishes.
– Ilana collects Jacob’s ashes from inside the statue and explains to Ben that MIB is “recruiting”.
– Ford recognizes that MIB isn’t Locke right away and doesn’t seem fazed. I guess he’s been through so much that nothing fazes him now.
– Ilana tells Sun that Jin is most likely at the temple. Too bad he’s actually with claimed/infected, yet still somehow sexy, Claire.
– This blond kid tells MIB that, “You know the rules. You can’t kill him.” Who is “him” now?
– MIB tells the kid in true Locke fashion, “Don’t tell me what I can’t do.”
– This is NOT a fact – I’m really thinking that the kid is an older-Aaron that can appear in places he’s not like Walt used to do. I also think that Jacob is Aaron’s father. I’m thinking that they just haven’t showed how Claire was “touched” by Jacob off-island yet. More on Claire Littleton later.
– Alpert tried to warn Ford, but with no luck.
– Ford lies to MIB about talking to Alpert and MIB ignores Ford’s question about the kid, by saying, “What kid?”
– Of Mice and Men was a little AFTER MIB’s time. I cracked up at that subtle comment.
– Ilana says that MIB is stuck looking like Locke now. This must only apply to AFTER Jacob was killed. Otherwise, he could not have appeared as Alex to Ben.
– Ben, Frank Lapidus, Sun, and Ilana bury Locke and Ben delivers a “heartfelt” eulogy, “Locke was…a believer. He was a man of faith. He was a much better man than I will ever be and I’m very sorry that I murdered him.”
– Lapidus delivers the line of the night, “This is the weirdest damn funeral I’ve ever been to.”
– Ford and MIB “climb” down a cliff to a cave that MIB claims to be Jacob’s.
– MIB takes a white rock off a scale so that it tips in the black rock’s favor and proceeds to toss the white rock into the ocean. This was very symbolic of light and dark once again (backgammon, stones found in Adam and Eve skeletons, etc.).
– MIB shows Ford a bunch of names written on the cave wall. Most are crossed out, but the ones that aren’t include: 4-Locke, 8-Reyes, 15-Ford, 16-Jarrah, 23-Shephard, and 42-Kwon.
– We don’t know if Kwon is Sun or Jin.
– MIB crosses out Locke’s name and taking one of these six “candidates” off the list could potentially be the “loophole” he was speaking of that he needed to kill Jacob.
– Littleton is one of the names crossed out and I’m guessing it’s crossed out because she is infected, which means that Jarrah will soon be crossed out as well.
– Thanks to my friend (CK), other names crossed out include Troupe, Jones, and Mattingly.
– Troupe is probably Gary Troupe, the author of Bad Twin and the one who was sucked into the plane’s engine in the pilot episode.
– Jones and Mattingly are unknown as far as I’m aware. (see more names in the comments below)
– Interesting to note that we know Jacob touched Kate as a child, but her name was not on the wall from what we could see.
– MIB explained to Ford that Jacob manipulated you and pulled your strings like a puppet in order to convince you to make choices that were never really choices at all.
– Ford’s three choices were Do Nothing, Accept the Job (as the new Jacob to “protect” the island), or Just Go (and get off the island).
– Ford decides on the third choice, which basically puts him in cahoots with MIB.
I’m not sure what all the “rules” are, but if Locke is dead, Jarrah is infected, and Ford is with MIB now, that only leaves Kwon, Shephard, and Reyes as the other potential “candidates”.
Here’s a question for everyone…where the heck is Desmond?
Next week…the 108th episode of LOST: “Lighthouse”