– The appendix scar. I can understand how life’s circumstances could have changed for the characters, but how does a medical need like an appendix removal change so drastically? We know Juliet removed Jack’s appendix in Season 4 when he is a full grown adult, so how is it that Jack had his taken out when he was 7 or 8 years old in the flash-sideways? Is there a medical reason that can bring this on due to some sort of trauma Jack may have experienced in the flash-sideways that he didn’t experience in the other timeline? Anyone?
– The Others all seem to understand what it means to be a “candidate”, so why can’t they explain things to them. Dogen seems to show appreciation toward Jack for staying so why not trust him and share some information. BTW – a great list of the numbers/names from the cave and in the lighthouse can be found here: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Candidates#Known_candidates. The number 108 refers to someone names “Wallace” who is crossed off, but like I mentioned earlier, it is also a sum of THE NUMBERS.
– Hurley has embraced his gift of communicating with the dead and hasn’t lost a bit of his charm in the process. His conversation with Jack about why they came back was very revealing and mirrored what Jacob told him at the end of the episode. Jack came back because he felt broken and feels he was stupid enough to think that this place (the island) could fix him. He lost some of the faith that guided his return and needs more time to come around and see the “light” (yes, pun intended again). As Jacob said, some people believe a complete stranger in a taxi while others need to stare at the ocean for a while.
– Claire’s…um…condition is a strange one indeed. She mentioned that her father (Christian Shephard) and her friend (unLocke) told her that The Others took Aaron, but it is probably safe to assume that unChristian and unLocke were one on the same, but now we’ll only see unLocke. They’re really starting to lose me here and need to clarify who Smokey has appeared as pretty soon. It doesn’t look good for the folks in the temple right now with Claire, Jin, and unLocke heading their way through a secret entrance that is probably not secured with ash.
– The Adam and Eve skeletons FINALLY made a return appearance and were referred to in the pop-up episode as well. They even mentioned the black and white stones that Kate and Jack found on them in the pop-up episode. I hope that Hurley’s “explanation” doesn’t end there because I personally want to know who they are. The predominant theory is still that they are Rose and Bernard and Hurley’s theory of someone going back in time and dying there would help that make sense.
– Speaking of black and white stones, the dark versus light theme is also making a comeback, but we still don’t know for certain who is light and who is dark. It seems pretty obvious to me that those who believe that Smokey may be on the side of “good” might be reaching a bit too much, but I still can’t completely dismiss it. Just another reason that this show is so damn entertaining.
– What did we see in the lighthouse mirror? I believe we saw Sun’s home when the dial turned pass #42. It looked like the backdrop where Jin and Sun got married. That would indicate to me that it’s Sun (not Jin) that matches #42, but we still can’t be sure. I’m not sure if we saw anything else.
One other note of interest…I listened to last week’s audio podcast and anyone who read into Claire’s sonogram date of 10/22/2004 as being significant can stop thinking too hard. They said that it was just an unfortunate prop error and it should have read 9/22/2004.