James Ford, better known to us as “Sawyer” returned to his old ways by conning his way through this episode as James (Jim) LaFleur. His lies were necessary in order to protect himself, Juliet, Miles, Jin, and Daniel. However, out of all of the lies he told from 1974 until 1977, the biggest lie he told was the one he deluded himself into believing. He is NOT over Kate!
He told Horace Goodspeed that even though he used to lie in bed thinking about her every night, three years is enough time to get over someone and that he can barely remember the way she looks. He may have forgotten exactly what she looks like, but there’s no way he has forgotten how he feels. There is no time limit on the kind of love he had for Kate. Let’s not forget that he actually jumped out of a helicopter in an effort to sacrifice himself and save her.
People can move on, as he has by establishing a new life as the Head of Security for the DHARMA Initiative and in a loving relationship with Juliet, but he is only deluding himself if he thinks he is over Kate.
A Long Time Ago (in an island galaxy somewhere in the South Pacific?)
– There’s a flash, the well disappears and Sawyer is holding the rope that was lowering John Locke down toward the Orchid. The group looks around and realizes they are in the past as they see the back of the “four-toed statue” (from the Season Two finale) from a distance, but it is fully intact.
– Another flash and the statue vanishes. This time the flash was different and the nosebleeds and headaches are gone. They decide that Locke must have successfully stopped the time shifts and they are now stuck in whatever time frame they ended up in.
– Daniel is distraught about Charlotte’s death. She vanished with the last flash as well.
– They head back to beach even though Sawyer is the only one who thinks they should go there. He is taking on leadership role. They hear a gunshot and rush to find a woman (Amy) crying over a dead man (Paul) with a DHARMA jumpsuit on while two other people (hostiles) hold her at gunpoint and put a sack on her head.
– When Miles asks a still distraught Daniel if they should avoid getting involved, he answers, “It doesn’t matter what we do now.”
– Sawyer confronts them. They turn and shoot, but Juliet shoots one and then Sawyer shoots the other.
– Amy tells them that Paul was her husband and that they have to take him home, but must bury the bodies (of the hostiles) first to make sure they keep their truce with the hostiles.
– When asked who they are, Sawyer tells Amy that they shipwrecked on their way to Tahiti.
– On their way to the DHARMA barracks, they get to the sonic fence pylons and Amy seemingly turns them off and walks through. Unbeknownst to the rest of the gang, she was wearing earplugs and they all got zapped as they walked through.
– When Sawyer wakes up, Horace Goodspeed thanks him for helping Amy and tells him that they can leave the island the next day on the sub. Sawyer told him his name was James LaFleur (which means The Flower) and that he wants to stay and look for the rest of their crew who went missing in the jungle. Horace disagreed and when he pressed for more information about their shipwreck, Sawyer claimed they were looking for the Black Rock and they must have hit the island’s reef.
– Juliet tells Miles how she used to live there in the barracks with the Others (who were formerly the hostiles). They ask Dan if he really thinks there won’t be any more flashes and he says that the “record player has stopped skipping, but we’re not on the song we want to be on.” They are stuck in the 70’s. He then sees Charlotte as a little girl.
– An alarm sounds and the DHARMA folks run for cover. It’s Richard Alpert and he looks angry. He tells Horace that the truce has been broken. Horace comes and tells a security guard named Phil to alert The Arrow Station that they are on priority one alert. LaFleur (Sawyer) interrupts and says that he’s going to talk with Alpert (the guy with the eyeliner) because he killed his men.
– LaFleur explains what happened to Alpert and then sits next to him. Alpert looks perplexed and confused. LaFleur asks if he ever buried the hydrogen bomb (Jughead) and tells him he knows about a bald guy who walked into his camp 20 years earlier named John Locke and then disappeared. Alpert believes he’s not with DHARMA, but says he people still need justice. They agree to give him Paul’s body after giving Amy the choice. She agrees in order to keep the truce, but takes a wooden cross from his neck before turning him over.
– Horace tells LaFleur that his crew has another two weeks on island before next sub. Juliet still wants to leave, but LaFleur says that she can’t leave him alone with the Mad Scientist (Dan) and Mr. I Speak to Dead People (Miles). He says that Jin is nice, but not a very good conversationalist and asks her to give him two weeks. It turns into three years, but we don’t know how yet.
– Rosie and Jerry (two DHARMA folk) are getting their groove on to some funky music and brownies down in The Pearl viewing station.
– Phil walks in and is upset with their behavior and then Rosie notices a drunken Horace on one of the viewing screens throwing dynamite near one of the pylons.
– It’s 3 AM and the guys are hesitant to wake LaFleur (who we didn’t know was Sawyer at the time). They go wake him anyway. He is now the head of security.
– LaFleur get Miles and they head out to get Horace. Miles stays to clean up while LaFleur carries Horace home to a now pregnant Amy. Turns out that Amy and Horace have gotten married sometime in the last three years and are expecting a baby any day now.
– When she asks LaFleur what happened and where he was, LaFleur says he was by The Flame Station (I’m not sure why he couldn’t tell her exactly where they found him).
– At first Amy is hesitant to explain what happened, but LaFleur tells her that she may as well tell him before he hears it over the “coconut telegraph”. She explains that they had a fight, but then starts having major labor pains before she can tell him what the fight was about.
– It turns out that the baby is breach and LaFleur runs off to find Juliet who is now working for DHARMA maintenance. She tells him they had a deal and that every baby she’s tried to deliver on the island has died. He convinces her that maybe whatever was killing the babies and their mothers wasn’t happening yet and tells her he knows that she is going to do great.
– LaFleur paces outside and Jin (who is also security) reports that he hasn’t found anything during his latest sweep of the island looking for their people. Juliet comes out and reports that both the new baby boy and mom are healthy.
– All seems good. LaFleur picks a flower and takes it home to Juliet who is preparing their supper. They are living together. He tells her she did great today. She thanks him for believing in her. They tell each other that they love each other.
– LaFleur goes to see if Horace is awake yet and tells him that he is a dad, but he missed the birth of his son. Horace explains that they got into a fight because he found Paul’s cross while looking for socks. He is still jealous and concerned that Amy still has feelings for her deceased husband and that it’s ONLY been three years. He asks LaFleur if he thinks that’s enough time to get over someone and he replies, “Absolutely!”
– Juliet and LaFleur are in sleeping together and get a phone call. It’s Jin and LaFleur runs off in a DHARMA jeep after telling Juliet it’s nothing.
– LaFleur meets up with Jin’s DHARMA van in the North Valley of the island and out comes Hurley, Jack and Kate. They look at each other as if they haven’t missed a day.
– End of episode.
Two Random Notes:
– I’m completely comfortable with my own sexuality to admit that Sawyer looks good with a nice pair of glasses and he is a very good leader and likeable character. He has definitely made the most of his chance to start over.
– Love the DHARMA Star logo for the security staff. It’s like a sheriff’s badge.
The next episode is not for another two weeks, but it’s called “Namaste”. It should be interesting to see how LaFleur brings the crew into the barracks with them and to find out where Sayid is and WHEN Locke, Sun, Lapidus and Ben are. I’m still betting on 2007.