Those words were uttered by Desmond in the episode, ‘Live Together, Die Alone’. I’m going to use the snow globe analogy to explain how Jin could have been within the island’s time shift circumference, but the helicopter wasn’t.
I struggled with the possibility of Jin even surviving last year and I’m not going to try and explain how he survived, but the picture below should illustrate how even though the helicopter was heading back toward the island when the flash occurred, it was outside the time shift circumference, but Jin was within it.
Please excuse the crudity of the drawing, I didn’t have time to draw it to scale. (Yes, that was a ‘Back to the Future’ reference.)
The black “thing” with flames on the left is the sinking freighter. The helicopter is obvious (I hope) and you can see Jin on the wooden plank just within the purple flash zone.
Any questions or contrary ideas on how he ended up time-shifting along with the rest of the LOSTies, please send a comment.
Once again, there is so much to talk about so I’m going to try and keep it to the key things I took from this episode:
– Nosebleeds: The temporal displacement seems to affect people who have been on the island longer than others. Charlotte said she was looking for where she was born. Miles doesn’t know it yet, but I predict we’ll find out that he’s the baby we saw Pierre Cheng attend to in this season’s premiere. We know Juliet has been on the island for quite some time and then we have Faraday and Sawyer. How or why Charlotte seems to be doing better is my bigger question now.
– The Oceanic 6 are all together minus Hurley, though it looks like Sun is about to avenge Jin’s “death”.
– The name on the side of Ben’s van, “Canton Rainier” is an anagram for “reincarnation.”
– We saw a potential foreshadow symbol with the Ajira Airways water bottle when the LOSTies returned to the wrecked beach camp. I’m guessing it was January 2005 or later based on the way everything was in disarray and all the food was gone. Who owns the outriggers we saw though? Why were they shooting at the LOSTies and where the heck are Rose and Bernard.
– The numbers seem to be making a bit of a comeback this season. We have Kate’s address – 42 Panorama Crest and they all meet at the Long Beach Marina – Slip 23.
– No one, other than the people time shifting, seems to notice the flashes. My brother and I were starting to wonder if the time shifting folks could explain some of the whispers we hear throughout the jungle. We came up with too many holes to make a good theory out of this one.
– Jin is alive and my very observant mother pointed something funny out. He spent most of the first two seasons not understanding anyone else because they all spoke English and he only spoke Korean. Now he knows some English and gets picked up by Rousseau’s French-speaking science team. Poor Jin! At least Danielle knows some English.
– I’m guessing the current year they’re in is 1988 because the French team is attempting to locate the source of the numbers transmission. We know they find it and start broadcasting their own distress signal that runs for 16 years until late 2004. Remember, the entire team was on the island for only two months before the entire team (with the exception of Rousseau) was killed by some sort of virus or something. Here’s the shortened dialogue from the episode ‘Solitary’…
DANIELLE: We were part of a science team.
DANIELLE: Our vessel was 3 days out of Tahiti when our instruments malfunctioned. It was night, a storm, the sounds. The ship slammed into rocks, ran aground, the hull breached beyond repair. So, we made camp, dug out this temporary shelter. Temporary. Nearly 2 months we survived here, 2 months before —
SAYID: Your distress signal? The message I heard, you said, “It killed them all.”
DANIELLE: We were coming back from the Black Rock. It was them. They were the carriers.
SAYID: Who were the carriers?
DANIELLE: The others.
Additionally, in ‘Exodus Part I’, Danielle said, “Our ship went aground on this island 16 years ago. There were 6 of us — my team, 6. At that time I was already 7 months pregnant. I delivered the infant myself. The baby and I were together for only 1 week when I saw black smoke — a pillar of black smoke 5 kilometers inland. That night they came — they came and took her — Alex. They took my baby. And now, they’re coming again. They’re coming for all of you.”
Finally, here are the translations from the French crew last night:
ROBERT: I told you so! We never should have followed those damn numbers!
MONTAND: It’s not my fault, Robert. Brennan was in charge of the sonar!
BRENNAN: I was watching, Montand! I told you already, the instruments malfunctioned!
ROUSSEAU: Man overboard!
(Man) I thought we were all here!
(Man) We ARE all here! He’s not one of us. So who is it?
(Man) Paddle! Paddle! Come on!
(Man) Focus the light on him. We have to hold the light).
(Man) Brennan, help paddle.
(Man) Come on! Hurry up! We are moving with the stream.
(Man) No.. There’s only him! No boat! Nothing!
Brennan: The waves will bring us to the coast.
Brennan: The wind. Over here.
(Man) For godsake Brennan! Shut up!
(Man) Come on, bring him in the raft. He’s heavy.
(Man) He’s still breathing.
CUT AWAY>>>Then on the shore…
AUTOMATED VOICE OVER RADIO: 4… 8…
MONTAND: Robert… Look, the signal comes from the island.
ROBERT: Can you find the source?
AUTOMATED VOICE OVER RADIO: 15… 16…
MONTAND: Yes of course, look!
ROBERT: Do you think the island’s inhabited?
ROUSSEAU: How are you? How are you feeling?
JIN: No understand.
ROUSSEAU: You speak English?
ROUSSEAU: Are you okay?
ROUSSEAU: How did you get here?
Robert: Who is he?
Montand : I don’t care who he is. What is he doing here?
ROUSSEAU: He said he came by boat.
ROBERT: What boat?
JIN: It’s gone. Sink.
ROUSSEAU: It must’ve been caught in the same storm as ours.
MONTAND: Who are you? How long you in the water?
JIN: I don’t know.
MONTAND: How do you not know how you wound up in the middle of the ocean?
ROUSSEAU: Montand! Leave him alone, he is shook up, do we have water for him?
Robert : Yeah. Comes back with the water. Here.
ROUSSEAU: Merci, Robert.
JIN: Thank you.
ROUSSEAU: What is your name?
JIN: Kwon Jin-su. Jin.
ROUSSEAU: Hello, Jin. I’m Danielle. Danielle Rousseau.
NEXT WEEK: ‘This Place Is Death’